This week's focus skills are-
- Adding 2 digit numbers
- Adding a number close to 100
A skill to focus on with your child at home: "Making Ten"
- They need to be able to be given any one digit number and know what to add to that number to make ten.
- This will greatly help them in further grades adding ALL NUMBERS.
- Once they know how to "Make Ten" we can dive into mental math deeper - asking the student - if you have 23 what is the next ten? ---- 30. Good, if 30 is the next ten, how many more do we need to make the ones (3) another ten? Or, what do I add to 3 to make 10. They will be able to say 7 if they know their "making ten" facts.
- When given problems like, 27+5 They won't have to use their fingers. They will know that 27 is close to the next ten, 30 and will see that they have 3 inside of 5. So they break apart 5 to be 3 and 2 and get 30 then add the remaining part, 2. ---- 32.
- It all starts with your child being able to make 10. Miss Six and I are quizzing them everyday upon entering the classroom, using every minute! Please encourage them to practice.
- Idea: Make flash cards with index cards. Some kiddos already made this in our class when given the challenge. Others created them for their doubles facts (1+1, 2+2, 3+3 etc)
- The workbook will not being going home for the rest of this mental math unit.
- Our Next Poem "Bed in Summer" came home Friday 1/12, to be presented 2/5
- Spelling words: This week there will be 10 words for the spelling test. Please note: Moving forward your child will be assessed on 14-16 words a week as we transition to cursive in future weeks. Please know, it is very normal for second graders' weekly spelling grade scores to drop on their Friday assessments during the transition to cursive.
- Little House in the Big Woods chapts 2-3
- Important Leaders
- George Washington, Ben Franklin, James Madison
- Articles of Confederation
- Purpose of The Articles of Confederation
- One right the articles gave to each colony
- Why the colonies would want a stronger central government.
- Shays Rebellion
- Cause, Importance
- Constitutional Convention & The Great Compromise
- Describe, importance
- The earth rotates around an axis
- The earth revolves around the sun
- The earth's axis is tilted and this is what creates seasons
- Axis - a straight line around which a body rotates (the invisible line around which the earth spins)
- Orbit - a path in space along which one celestial body revolves around another (the earth's path around the sun)
- Revolve - to move in an orbit
- Rotate - to spin around an axis